- Deep One is a large 2nd era pure Nature Tank, whose damage/health and power cost are both high. It has the ability to teleport single units to itself.
- The 'Catch' teleport ability has a 30m range, which does not look like far on the playing field, but it is out of range of the AI's visibility range for melee units. Normally, the enemy AI will display 'BAF' (Bring a Friend) behaviour, attacking with all nearby units once one of its units is attacked, but Catch does not count as an attack for the purposes of attracting nearby enemy units into the battle.
- Furthermore, in the case of the Gifted affinity ability, the teleported unit itself will be oblivious to the indignity of both teleportation and rooting, and if the Deep One is out of range by the time the root wears off, it will not seek out the Deep One to attack it.
- Finally, units that are teleported remain in their new position, rather than returning to the position they were assigned to when the map was started.
- Affinity: Gifted
- Power: 30
- Activate to teleport any targeted hostile unit within 30m radius to the caster. The target unit will then be rooted to the ground for 12 seconds. Rooted units are immobile but may still use ranged attacks and special abilities. After the effect wears off, targets are immune against Root for a while. Reusable every 30 seconds.
- Affinity: Tainted
- Power: 30
- Activate to teleport any targeted hostile unit within a 30m radius to the caster . The target unit will then be weakened and deal 25% less damage for 12 seconds. Reusable every 30 seconds.
- Tank and 'Puller'
- Large size Creatures (does 50% more damage to them with its L attack)
- Wizards and Supporters (Catch prevents them escaping)
- Tunnel Cards
- Kill zone: Any mass of units, but particularly Tower buildings: 'Catch' a single enemy, pulling it into the kill zone. Repeat. If the Tainted Catch is used this way in PvP, the target can, and probably will, flee.
The Catch ability is a fairly slow casting ability, so timing can become an issue. The enemy unit is teleported far enough away from the Deep One so that only one unit out of a melee squad can hit the Deep One (until the rest of the squad moves; if the Gifted ability is used, the Deep One can simply move out of range of the meleeing squad member).
Catch will not interrupt the casting of some enemy special abilities, such as Twilight Abomination's roar. However, just as the teleportation on Stone of Torment, it can interrupt the Twilight Abomination's attacks, and presumably other such slow attacks.
|Gifted Deep One I||Nature||Siege of Hope||Standard|||
|Tainted Deep One I||Nature||Crusade||Standard|||
|Tainted Deep One II||Nature||Crusade||Advanced|||
|Tainted Deep One III||Nature||Crusade||Expert|||
|Card Upgrade||Type or Ability||Effect|
|Deep One I||Lifepoints||+60|
|Deep One I||New ability||+Tunneling|
|Deep One II||Lifepoints||+140|
|Deep One II||Catch||+3 seconds duration|
|Deep One III||Lifepoints||+150|
|Deep One III||Catch||-5 power cost|